The steps to design your logo and the programs to use for its realization. Is it possible to attract customers, stand out in the market, and clarify your identity with just one element? Yes, thanks to your logo. Whether you have a company, e-commerce, or are working on a personal brand, having a logo that distinguishes you is essential for your project and business. The logo symbolizes identity that creates a visual relationship with the public. That’s why it allows you to be recognized among thousands of competitors.
A logo doesn’t have to be just an excellent image to show next to your company name; it has to be you. It must represent you 100% and be unique and recognizable. Making all these aspects coincide in a single icon is not easy. Creating a professional logo takes experience, creative sense and technical knowledge. Contacting a professional is the best solution, but if you want to orient yourself to make the best choices, we can give you some helpful advice on creating a logo, tools, and free resources to use.
What Are The Characteristics Of An Effective Logo?
As we have already mentioned, a logo is a graphic representation that identifies who you are, which is why it cannot ignore some basic rules. A logo must be:
Try to think of the logos of all the most influential brands you know; you will notice that the characteristic that distinguishes them is simplicity.
How To Make A Professional Logo: What Are The Steps?
Before you get down to business, answer these three main questions :
- Who are you?
- What do you communicate?
- Who do you turn to?
Once you have identified the answers, they will help you with your project’s graphic choices. But let’s analyze step by step how to create a professional logo.
Start With Your Company Name
- A helpful way to make a quality logo is to work on your company name. An example? Think Apple.
- Grab a pen and paper, write the name of your company or brand on a piece of paper and start experimenting.
- Also, write the answers to the three questions we have just seen; they will be helpful for you to get ideas and ideas to work on.
- Now you can free your creativity and try to make sketches, starting from the graphic signs of the name or the images to which the word, and the answers to the previous questions, refer.
- You can act on these shapes by breaking them down or stylizing them.
- For example, if you are involved in travel, your images might include a plane, the world, or a map.
- Here, these are all relatively simple and widely used elements. Still, they could become original by creating interesting combinations, reshaping the shapes or making more targeted references, such as a reference to a specific bird species.
Play With Color
- Once you have your logo sketched, move on to the color selection.
- Color is a decisive element for the success or failure of your brand.
- Opt for consistent color, in line with your target and emotionally functional.
- We have already talked about it on other occasions; you can take a cue from the psychology of color, which allows you to associate the right color with the message you want to convey.
Choose The Font
- The font has the power to emphasize impact or ruin a design altogether.
- That’s why choosing the font is one of the most important and challenging steps.
- We recommend that you create several sketches with different fonts, try to show them to the people you know and evaluate their reactions.
- Try to understand what works and what doesn’t. Then, of course, you also follow your instincts.
- Choose the one you like best at a glance.
- In some cases, you can work on the simple font, modifying even just one letter to create an original brand.
Study The Shapes
- Geometric shapes also characterize a large part of the logos.
- The shape is an element of strong visual impact and a winning key in creating a logo.
- Working on a simple geometric shape, which incorporates the graphic sign, can be a winning decision: think of the A in the Adobe icon that recalls a triangle.
Creating A Professional Logo: What Are The Valuable Programs?
- Now that you have a clear idea of what you would like your logo to look like, let’s move on to its practical realization.
- How? Get help from the right programs.
- The programs that work on graphics are mainly divided into two strands: vector and raster.
- In the first case, we work on geometric paths (lines, curves) and the shapes are obtained from complex mathematical equations; in the second, on the pixels and then on the resolution.
- The best choice for logo creation is a vector format.
- The great advantage lies in the fact that the object can be enlarged infinitely without losing quality.
- You can print your logo in any format without losing definition.
- On the other hand, the raster format through Photoshop or Gimp, for example, allows you to act on the pixels obtaining genuinely remarkable results for the images.
- However, it is not always the best choice in the case of a logo.
- Let’s see some of the leading software you can work with for your logo.
- It is a vector graphics software.
- Used by most professionals in the sector, it can also be used by those with less in-depth knowledge of the software.
- Once you start Adobe Illustrator, you can immediately start developing your projects.
- Open a new document, select a predefined format, and assemble the various paths, fonts, and colors.
- Still, in the Adobe family, you can find this software capable of processing and managing vector graphics elements, albeit in a reduced way compared to Illustrator.
- InDesign was born primarily for the management of complex layouts. Therefore, it finds great use in the publishing field, despite its similarities with Illustrator.
- In addition to these professional and paid programs, you can take advantage of free resources that allow you to create creative and personalized logos.
- Turbo logo is a state-of-the-art logo generator with which you can design a quality logo in just 5 minutes.
- The service is powered by AI technology and generates hundreds of logo designs in seconds. You have to provide information about your company and view the proposals.
- The generator is easy to use and suitable for everyone, even those inexperienced and has never used similar software.
- This vector graphics program is a valid alternative to Illustrator; this vector graphics program is suitable for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- It offers all the variants for fundamental and widespread graphic creations and has numerous features similar to those of its competitors in terms of type and use.
- Another alternative, in terms of functionality and style, to Illustrator, this tool is handy if you are a beginner.
- It helps you familiarize yourself with the graphical environment to practice and carry out good projects with meager budgets.
- This is an online graphics program that allows you to create illustrations.
- What do you need to use it? A computer and an internet connection.
- This web application can be used directly from the browser in all its functions and potentialities.
- The only requirement is registration on the website of the service.
- If you are a beginner, this tool is for you.
Widely used for creating graphics and content for both online and offline communication, Canva has at least three essential advantages :
- Easy. Canva is intuitive, works with drag-and-drop logic and offers customizable layouts;
- Fast. Graphic templates are available with the dimensions set for each type of content, from social networks to blogs, up to the logo;
- Allows you to work in a team. Each project can be shared with other people to make changes at any time by working with multiple hands.
Whatever your project and the tool you decide to use to make it happen, we must leave you one last reminder. Remember to always keep the vector version of your logo file. Export your graphics by selecting at least one of these “.eps / .pdf / .svg (web only)” extensions, always ensuring that all elements inside are vector paths and not rasterized elements.
There are other types of extensions as well. Still, with these that we have just listed, you are sure that your file can be processed by different software for different purposes: website, small or large prints, videos with logo animation, etc. Starting from your message and the elements that define the identity of your business, you have to let creativity and imagination work.
Also Read: THE NEW E-COMMERCE TRENDS 2022